Search
Wednesday 18 September 2019
  • :
  • :
A community of Australian mums at your fingertips.

A Mum’s Heartbreaking Post About The Accidental Death of Her Seven-Month-Old Son Goes Viral

accidental death of seven-month old

A Mum’s Heartbreaking Post About The Accidental Death of Her Seven-Month-Old Son Goes Viral

A mother’s heartbreaking warning about the use of baby blankets in cots has gone viral, with world-wide reach, after the death of her seven-month-old son, Sloan.

Jordan DeRosier, from Washington in the U.S., made the heart-wrenching discovery of her baby son, unresponsive in his crib last week.

The young mum shared how his beloved blankie had been around his head and when she yanked it off, she touched his stomach and found him to be ice-cold.

The mum felt compelled to share her story so other parents don’t suffer the same loss. Unfortunately, Jordan had to go into detail about her experience as anti-vaxxers attacked her when she shared her first message.

Jordan responded with this post on Facebook:

“To those who keep commenting and messaging trying to blame vaccines for our sons death- stop. Initially I had not wanted to explain the detailed circumstances of his death because of my guilt and the fear of condemnation from others. But I will not allow anyone to try and place blame where it does not belong.”

“He was last laid down to bed with this blanket made by his great-great grandmother, and one other blanket, a grey one he had been attached to since birth. They took the grey one he had been found with his head in.”

“He had pulled it through the crib rails somehow and gotten himself stuck in it. You never think it will happen to you. You never think it will be your baby.”

“Please do not put your babies to bed with a blanket. Please.”

“He was 7 months old, I thought because he was crawling, standing on his own, and climbing, that he would be fine with a blanket. This is the face of immense, unfathomable grief, the face of longing, of heartbreak, of self-inflicted GUILT.”

“I will NEVER stop feeling responsible. I will relive this for the rest of my life knowing EXACTLY what I could have done differently. Please learn from my world shattering mistake.”

Jordan then shared how Sloan’s story is being shared around the world, which has been a small comfort to this terrible tragedy.

“Sloan’s story is reaching millions. I know ultimately what my post is doing is saving the lives of other babies. Sloan has done his job, his light shines on us all.”

Via Facebook, Sloan and his older brother, Rowan.

For information on safe sleeping practices for babies, we have information here – What you need to know about Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Our condolences go out to Jordan and her family at this most difficult time.



Rebecca Senyard

Rebecca Senyard is a plumber by day and stylist by night but these days she changes more nappies than washers. She is a happily married mum to three young daughters who she styles on a regular basis. Rebecca is not only an award winning plumber, she also writes an award winning blog called The Plumbette where she shares her life experiences as a plumber and mother. Rebecca also blogs at Styled by Bec believing a girl can be both practical and stylish. Links to the blogs are http://www.theplumbette.com.au and http://www.styledbybec.com.au/blog


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This