We can be so hard on ourselves as parents. It is such an important job – perhaps the most important. And we don’t want to stuff it up!
But how do we actually know if we’re being a good parent? Are our kids the measure? Perhaps. But that can be tricky.
I think what’s more telling is how we feel within ourselves. Because being a good parent is ultimately about being a good person.
Not a perfect-I-never-make-mistakes kind of parent – or person.
But just someone who understands the value of lessons and laughter and love. Particularly love.
Here are my 10 signs that you’re a good (enough) parent.
- You listen to your child.
- You tell everyone in your family that you love them and you give them kisses and hugs (regularly).
- You listen to yourself.
- You seek to learn.
- You seek to teach.
- You don’t expect to be perfect or get it right every time.
- You say sorry to others and forgive yourself.
- You laugh. Lots.
- You take responsibility for your own behaviour and don’t blame others.
- You love yourself as much as you love your family.
What would you add or subtract from this list?
Jodie Benveniste is a psychologist, parenting author and a great believer in the power of intuitive parenting. You can get your free gift ‘Unlocking the secrets of intuitive parenting’ at jodiebenveniste.com